* * * OSC Junior Week 2016 * * *
This is a residential event for under 16’s and runs from 3pm Sunday 14th August to 3pm Friday 19th August 2016. Parents are asked to leave by 4pm on the Sunday and all juniors need to be on site by this time. This first evening is a time for getting to know each other and gaining instruction on how the week will run and duties.
The aim of junior week is to provide an opportunity for children to enjoy sailing and related activities with other young people in the form of a residential event. Whilst every effort is made to offer your child progression through the RYA syllabus, further certification is not the primary focus of the event. Logbooks must be handed over on the Sunday of course.
The juniors will be in teams and duties will take place. They will not be arduous but will involve washing up, cleaning toilets and mopping floors!
All volunteers on the course have had a DBS / Criminal Records Bureau Check and we have dedicated on shore and off shore team of helpers. We have first aiders on site at all times.
In addition to enjoyment and learning new skills, safety is of paramount importance during Otley Sailing Club courses. Water sports can be hazardous by their nature and participants, parents or guardians must accept that there are risks and the inevitable bumps and scrapes which happen during the thrills and spills of fast moving activities. To manage the risks so far as we are able, Otley sailing club has a ‘safe system of work’:
- We used RYA qualified experienced staff.
- We provide a range of safety equipment for participant’s comfort and safety.
- We provide safe equipment for the course.
- We teach to RYA recommendations and guidelines.
- We have robust management and safety systems which have been inspected by approved bodies such as the RYA.
- We will modify/cancel an activity if we feel that there are unmanageable risks.
The cost of Junior Week is £200 for OSC members and £250 for non-members. This must be paid upon registration in order to secure your place(s). We will collect further information / consent forms and send out a kit list nearer the time.
Please note that:-
- All children must have a wet suit.
- All children must have a RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Log Book (This can be purchased from the club).
- No pass-outs will be granted during the week as this affects group dynamics.
- Children are not allowed mobile phones, tablets, laptops or other electronic items during Junior Week.