This is a residential event for 7 to 16 year olds and runs from 3pm Sunday 13th August to 3pm Friday 18th August 2017.
The aim of junior week is to provide an opportunity for children to enjoy sailing and related activities with other young people in the form of a residential event.
The event is suitable for complete beginners and experienced sailors (RYA Level 4 and beyond) alike.
Whilst every effort is made to offer your child progression through the RYA syllabus, certification is not the primary focus of the event.
The juniors will be in teams and duties will take place. They will not be arduous but will involve washing up, cleaning toilets and mopping floors!
In addition to enjoyment and learning new skills, safety is of paramount importance during Otley Sailing Club courses. Water sports can be hazardous by their nature and participants, parents or guardians must accept that there are risks and the inevitable bumps and scrapes which happen during the thrills and spills of fast moving activities. To manage the risks so far as we are able, Otley sailing club has a ‘safe system of work’:
- We used RYA qualified experienced staff.
- We provide a range of safety equipment for participant’s comfort and safety.
- We provide safe equipment for the course.
- We teach to RYA recommendations and guidelines.
- We have robust management and safety systems which have been inspected by approved bodies such as the RYA.
- We will modify/cancel an activity if we feel that there are unmanageable risks.
All volunteers on the course have had a DBS / Criminal Records Bureau Check and we have dedicated on shore and off shore team of helpers. We have first aiders on site at all times.
The cost of Junior Week is £200 for OSC members and £250 for non-members. This includes accommodation and all food. A non-refundable deposit of £50 is required upon registration in order to secure your place(s). The balance must be paid by 1st July 2017. [Failure to do so will result in the place being offered to another child and your deposit being forfeited.] We will collect further information / consent forms and send out a kit list nearer the time.
Unfortunately, our web site does not allow us to collect part payments via PayPal, so please either arrange a bank transfer or send a cheque to the treasurer for the deposit. Alternatively you can pay the full balance upon registration by PayPal if that’s more convenient.
Please note that:-
- All children must have a wet suit.
- All children must have a RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Log Book (This can be purchased from the club).
- No pass-outs will be granted during the week as this affects group dynamics.
- Children are not allowed mobile phones, tablets, laptops or other electronic items during Junior Week.
- Otley Sailing Club retains the right to adjust the programme or cancel the event if not enough volunteers are forthcoming to help run Junior Week 2017.