A departure from tradition this year... Junior Week is Junior (Long) Weekend!
This is a non-residential event for 7 to 16 year olds and runs over 4 days from Friday 17th August to Monday 20th August 2018, 9am to 5pm each day.
The aim of junior weekend is to provide an opportunity for children to enjoy sailing and related activities with other young people over a 4 day period.
The event is suitable for complete beginners and experienced sailors (RYA Level 4 and beyond) alike.
Whilst every effort is made to offer your child progression through the RYA syllabus, certification is not the primary focus of the event.
In addition to enjoyment and learning new skills, safety is of paramount importance during Otley Sailing Club courses. Water sports can be hazardous by their nature and participants, parents or guardians must accept that there are risks and the inevitable bumps and scrapes which happen during the thrills and spills of fast moving activities. To manage the risks so far as we are able, Otley sailing club has a ‘safe system of work’:
- We used RYA qualified Instructors.
- We provide a range of safety equipment for participant’s comfort and safety.
- We teach to RYA recommendations and guidelines.
- We have robust management and safety systems which have been inspected by approved bodies such as the RYA.
- We will modify/cancel an activity if we feel that there are unmanageable risks.
All volunteers on the course have had a DBS / Criminal Records Bureau Check and we have dedicated on shore and off shore team of helpers. We have first aiders on site at all times.
The cost of Junior Weekend is £100 for OSC members and £125 for non-members. Food is not supplied so your child will need to come with a packed lunch and snacks.
Please note that:-
- All children must have a wet suit.
- Sailing boots or neoprene beach shoes need to be worn (or trainers that you don't mind getting wet). Crocs or similar are not suitable as they tend to be too slippy and fall off the kids feet too easily.
- All children must have a RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Log Book (This can be purchased from the club).
- Children must attend all 4 days as partial attendance affects group dynamics.
- Children are not allowed mobile phones, tablets, laptops or other electronic items during Junior Weekend.
- Otley Sailing Club retains the right to adjust the programme or cancel the event if not enough volunteers are forthcoming to help run Junior Weekend 2018.